The New York Jets troubled one-time pro bowler Sheldon Richardson is on the trade block and the Detroit Lions need depth at the defensive end position. But there’s a catch; Richardson is on the last year of his deal and is due a hefty $8.1-million. But the Lions could do it being as they will have a lot of salary cap space next season and with Richardson being only 26 if he’s productive in our system. Next season we could re-sign Stafford, Ansah, and Richardson (if traded).
Before we go over the possible scenarios where the Lions would acquire Sheldon, let’s go over the team needs for the New York Jets:
No only a joke, although some Jets fans believe that to be true.
Jets top 3 needs are:
1. Quarterback – With the best player here being Josh McCown by far, they could use any type of competition.
2. Cornerback – With Morris Claiborne and Buster Skrine as your one and two and in a rebuild you need young talent.
3. Offensive line – Another glaring need for a rebuilding team; young O-linemen. You need linemen to protect the QB which makes the QB better and the offense run smoother, takes time of possession, etc.
Possible trade scenarios:
- Lions Recieve – DE Sheldon Richardson, 2018 6th
- Jets Recieve – CB DJ Hayden, 2018 4th, OG Laken Tomlinson
This trade would take the $5M off the Lions contract for Hayden and the Jets would receive two young players that were once first round picks and a middle round pick.
- Lions Recieve – Sheldon Richardson
- Jets Recieve – 2018 5th, QB Jake Rudock, OT Greg Robinson
This trade would give the Jets a later round pick but also a young QB who has played well in one season and a former 2nd overall pick at left tackle with potential.
3. Last but not least:
- Lions Recieve – Sheldon Richardson, 2018 6th
- Jets Recieve – OT Cyrus Kouandjio, 2018 4th, WR TJ Jones
After the injury of the Jets #1 receiver, they need somebody to step up this trade would give them a mid-round pick a young tackle with potential and a slot receiver.
Now, the only way to get Richardson without a trade is a possible signing next year in free agency, stay tuned.